Tennis Injuries – Wear Two Pairs Of Socks for Tennis

Two Pairs Of Socks for Tennis?

Why should you wear two pairs of socks while playing tennis? A tennis player’s feet take a lot of abuse due to the constant starting, stopping, and twisting. It is not uncommon for a tennis player to have issues with their feet including heal bruises, black toe, and blisters. Any one of these ailments can stop you from performing at your best. Wearing two pairs of sock can help prevent these problems with cushioning and anti-friction which will also allow you to Play and Train both longer and harder.

Tennis Tips Daily

Tennis Tips Daily
Photo by Jeremy Thompson

Pro Tennis Players Wear Two Pairs of Socks

Professional tennis players must take care of their feet to be able to play at their highest level every week, and they consider their feet one of the most important parts of their body.  Sore feet will slow them down, and that could cost them serious cash. So, two pairs of socks is cheap insurance. In fact, Lleyton Hewitt wears three pairs of socks when he plays, so you can see how important his feet are to him.

Wear multiple pairs of socks while playing tennis, so you will be able to practice and play much longer helping you to win more matches.

Do You Wear Multiple Pairs of Socks for Tennis?

Leave a comment below to let us know how many pairs of socks you wear and what kind. For example, I have found that wearing one pair of thin socks under a pair of thicker socks works best for me. Also, share with others using our Social Media Buttons, so they can share what they think as well.

6 Responses to Tennis Injuries – Wear Two Pairs Of Socks for Tennis

1. Larry K May 22, 2014 at 2:50 pm #

Back in the 60’s during my high school basketball days everyone I knew of wore two pair of socks. I am surprised this took so long to catch on in tennis. Extra cushioning and blister control will have your feet thanking you.

• David Evans May 22, 2014 at 3:00 pm #

Hi Larry, It is not really new to tennis. I wore 2 pairs of socks back in the 70’s playing tennis on the high school team. I think it is more something that might people might be missing these days. I talk to lots of players that are having foot problems with blisters or soreness, and they do not even know about wearing 2 pairs of socks. Some things just work. Hey, thanks for taking time to comment. David

2. Nell April 7, 2014 at 2:11 am #

Are you kidding? Where have I been? I have never heard of or thought of wearing two pairs of socks. Thanks for the tips. I think my feet will be hurting less from now on. 😉

• David Evans April 10, 2014 at 6:13 pm #

Hi Nell, Glad you found this tennis tip useful. Most players that try wearing two pairs of socks while playing tennis will find their feet feel better after being out on the court, but you just need to make sure that your shoes still fits. I wear a thinner pair under a thicker pair to keep the socks from affecting my shoe size. Let us know how it goes for you out on the court! Thanks for the feedback, David

3. Debbie July 11, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

I am glad to see someone sharing this with the up and coming tennis players. Black toe was my weakness in tennis. It happened every game it seemed and my coach told me about the two pairs of socks deal. I thought he was crazy at first but quickly learned he was my hero. Listen to David, he knows his stuff!!

• David Evans July 15, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Debbie, I have had my battles with black toe a lot over the years and wearing 2 pairs of socks does help. Also, found that shoes with a wide toe box also add to the problem for me because they allow my feet to slide forward more and plowing into the end of the shoe. Thanks for the positive feedback about how two pairs of socks helps tennis players stay on the court without their feet hurting more than necessary. Thanks again, David Evans