Tennis Training – What Is A Big Point In Tennis?

Tennis Tips Daily - What is a Big Point?

Tennis Tips Daily
What is a Big Point?
Photo by Frédéric de Villamil

You might have heard the phrase “Play one point at a time”, which some tennis players assume means that all tennis points are to be treated as equal. Our tennis tip is that there are lots of big points during a tennis match that you need to be aware of to make sure that you put the odds of winning in your favor. What is a big point in tennis? There is at least one big point in almost every game throughout each set. The 5th point of a game is considered a big point. Not every game has a 5th point because some games are won on the 4th point at 40-Love. The rest of the games in a set have a 5th point, and I was trained to give the 5th point extra attention and effort. Due to the way tennis is scored, the 5th point of each game is critical.

What Is A Big Point In Tennis?

There are three combination of the 5th point in a game of tennis which include 30-30 (or Deuce), 40-15, 15-40. Note that all deuce points are to be played as a big point even though it is not technically a 5th point. Setup a trigger for yourself to make sure that you are focused on these big points by using the following tip.

When you play a big point, train yourself to focus by saying “Big Point” to yourself which will help you mentally prepare for the point. Once you start using this form of tennis training to trigger to get yourself to focus, you will see better results and win more games by putting more pressure on your opponent during the big points in both singles and doubles.

Big Point, So What Do You Do?

The 5th point is a common place for the Big Points Strategy Used by Top Tennis Pros to be used. Plan on winning these big points, and play your best tennis by using your highest percentage and best tennis shots. Do not try anything new or risky because the last thing you want to do is give these big points away without a fight. You want to keep the pressure on your opponent not let off due to a loss of concentration or give up due to being down 15-40 for example. You are trying to either turn 30-30 (or Deuce) into your AD, recover from 15-40, or close out the game. There are more big points during a set of tennis; but if you concentrate on the 5th point for now, you will win more games, sets, and ultimately matches.

Big Doubles Points?

What is a big point in tennis doubles matches? What court does the 5th (and Deuce) points get served to in doubles? It is the forehand (Deuce) court, so this should help you determine which player should play the forehand court because they will return serve on the 5th point. I like to win the big points when returning serve in doubles and I am sure you do as well, so you need to determine who will return serve better in the forehand court based on your current opponents to be able to get those big points more often. I see most doubles teams put their stronger player in the backhand (AD) court for some reason, but I recommend the stronger returner start in the forehand (Deuce) court to win more of the big points in doubles.

FREE Report Reveals 5 Secrets To Take Your Tennis Game to the Next Level Right Away! Just Let Me Know Where You Want Me to Send It.

, ,

8 Responses to Tennis Training – What Is A Big Point In Tennis?

1. Kayla August 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

I am really impressed with your style of writing. I have been wondering about the big points and you explain it easy enough for everyone to understand. Thanks. Now I am no longer at a loss.

• David Evans August 14, 2012 at 4:40 am #

Kyla, Thanks for the support and positive feedback. Glad to know that you found it useful. Have a nice day, David

2. Mike July 13, 2012 at 9:19 am #

My wife loves loves loves tennis and I have never really cared for it. Well, I guess I better start learning all the lingo and moves because she is demanding that I spend more time with her and watch more tennis with her. Thanks my man because your site is helping me understand the game a bit more. *Cheers*

• David Evans July 15, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

Mike, Glad to see here that you are working on understanding the game of tennis because your wife has a passion for it. This tells me that you love your wife enough to want to share and talk with her about things that she is interested in and not just your own stuff. You are awesome and a good example to other husbands. Thanks for sharing this with us because you made my day. Hope my site helps you support your wife, David

3. Sara Lynn July 8, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

Thanks for the information. I googled what is a big point and found your site. Your explanation is easy to understand and I just felt like I had to comment and at least say thanks. So, Thanks!

• David Evans July 9, 2012 at 9:28 pm #

Sara, Thank you for the positive feedback. It is always good to know that people are finding my information useful. Please feel free to let me know if there is anything in particular that you would like me to write about on my site, so I can make sure my information is what people like you are looking for in the future.
      Thanks Again, David

4. Marc Palos June 6, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

Great comments about the big point David! I love the 5th point strategy and will keep it in mind next time I am on the courts…….Also, love the strategy for the 5th point from a “doubles” standpoint and having the stronger player ready on the forehand side for just this purpose. Great stuff…I will use…….will send you a pic of my tournament trophy next time I pull this off! Great stuff David.. Marc Palos / keep them coming..

• David Evans June 6, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

Marc, Thanks for the support and positive feedback.
      It helps to know that people appreciate what I sharing here on Tennis Tips Daily. I am constantly updating the site with new content, so check back often for more tips like this one.
      Thanks Again, David